Thursday, July 31, 2014

Some Post-Business-Trip Updates

Damn, that business trip really screwed me up when I got home.  I've been pretty ravenous for the past several days, which was actually unexpected because while I was actually on the business trip I was trying so hard to not eat too shitty while I was there.  I had some cheat meals, mostly meals that count as cultural icons in the area I was in, but I was overall really looking forward to coming home and eating well again, and the food I kept in my hotel room was reasonably innocuous (something I already mentioned).

So what the hell happened?  Money, mostly.  When I got home I had pretty much twenty bucks to my name, my last couple paychecks have been really shitty, and I wound up eating a lot of my parents' food instead.  I also re-picked-up my soda habit, but luckily right now soda feels wildly unappealing to me and that'll probably be easy to kick.  This time, at least.

I don't really regret the cheat meals I had on the trip.  I had Subway a couple times (I usually get salads there, but getting one of those "on the go" would have been complicated in a group like the one I was in), I had McDonalds once (which I probably should regret but I do not), and I had some foods that I just wouldn't be able to get up here in Wisconsin at the same quality, like a Crawfish and Oyster Po'boy or a Memphis Style Barbecue Sandwich.



I will tell you, though, that those last two meals sure made me feel like garbage the night after.  The barbecue wasn't so bad (the main problem was that in addition to the sandwich we had pulled pork nachos and so we all overate), but the Po'boy resulted in such bad acid reflux that I could not sleep.  This was a huge problem as my flight was at six in the morning, and we left the hotel at four.

Most of my restaurant eating actually wasn't that bad.  For instance, when going to a sushi place you can't go wrong with a plate of sugary-rice-free sashimi.  I don't eat sashimi very often because most of the places I get sushi do not serve it.  I feel like I should eat more of it, though.  On a side note... I've been trying to figure out what that white fish on the right is, and it might be escolar, which is famous for some creative and nasty health effects that as far as I can tell make it the Olestra of the fish world.  I, however, have never had a problem with it, probably because I don't eat a whole lot of it.

The good part of all this is on that two week trip I managed to only gain four pounds and my blood pressure is still what it was post-Whole-30 (which is to say, bad, but not that bad).