Friday, July 4, 2014

Fourth of July and Sick, Sick, Sick

I'm not really into the Fourth of July because I have a tendency to despise patriotic and nationalistic holidays.  I did go to a parade, which consisted almost entirely of churches, fire trucks, and Republican candidates for office.   Yuck.

Yesterday I left work early because I wasn't feeling very well.  Today I'm doing worse... I'm on a nice cocktail of over-the-counter drugs (and my prescription asthma inhaler, which I only use rarely), aromatherapy concoctions, and I'm starting to improve a little bit over this morning.  It's times like these I'm really glad I stopped being irrationally afraid of medicine (although I still use it sparingly).

Last night I made a nice chicken and tamarind soup.  All I did was take chicken broth, use it to boil strips of skinless/boneless thigh meat, and then when that was boring I added some tamarind pulp which really bumped up the flavor in a nice way.

Today and a couple days ago I actually made side pork, which for those who don't know is basically the part of the pig they use to make bacon, often slice in the same way as bacon, but without the curing or added ingredients.  I'm collecting the fat so I have a nice stock of non-hydrogenated pork lard to use for cooking.

Anyway, a note on my Coconut Water Challenge:  Since I'm sick I don't feel right trying to judge coconut water, since everything tastes different!  So other than one that's scheduled, I'm holding off on finishing it until further notice.