Saturday, July 19, 2014

Cheap Business Trip Pseudo-Paleo

Alright, I know some of you are going to take one look at this picture, scream in terror, and then head for the hills.  Right now I'm right in the middle of a two week project out of state, and because of that I've had to take a little... uh... license with my eating habits.  Which, I agree, sucks pretty hardcore.  But I think that for having practically no money I'm doing pretty damn good.


I actually feel a bit sad about my mini-fridge because I've been reading "It Starts With Food"--the accompanying book to the Whole 30 program--and it's helping me understand a lot more about why paleo allows and forbids certain foods.  Interestingly as well, a lot of the stuff I initially bought thinking "oh, it's two weeks, I'll get back on later" I just don't have the appetite for.  It didn't go to waste, but it wasn't easy to eat, either.  Which is a good thing.

The food in the picture was specifically chosen for two reasons:
  1. It's reasonably inexpensive (I get meals reimbursed, which would be more fantastic if I had money to put up front).
  2. It's easy to cook in a microwave when needed, which is the only cooking instrument I have right now.
The only things on here that are pretty hardcore not-paleo are green beans (These are a legume, but I believe they're actually Whole 30 compliant for the same reason sugar snap peas are. Not sure, though.) and the butter (I got butter mixed with olive oil because it was a smaller portion; it's really difficult to find real butter here in comparison to Wisconsin, I've found).  The rest is... well, pretty reasonable.  Maybe the canned pineapple is sketchy due to being kept in fruit juice... but at least it's not corn syrup.

I got eggs because you can microwave eggs pretty easily.  Just do a Google search for microwaving eggs and it'll tell you how to poach them, scramble them, hard-cook them, or pseudo-fry them.  They aren't as good as pan-cooked eggs, but they're do-able.  I've been scrambling them with the microwave-ready bacon (on a side note, regular non-pre-cooked bacon can also be made in a microwave, and they have awesome plastic cookware for just that purpose).

What else do I have there... canned fish.  Canned albacore tuna (it would be better if it were pole-caught, but I have limited resources to work with).  I picked albacore because it has higher omega-3 fatty acids.  There are also canned kippered herrings, which have been a favorite snack of mine since I was a kid, and canned salmon fillets, which I've never tried and just bought because... well, I've never seen it before.

As far as fresh stuff goes, I have nectarines, cherries, and baby-cut carrots.  I also have a bunch of nuts... a bag of pistachios and a few single-serving baggies with a mix of cashews, almonds, and pistachios to bring with me for lunch.

All last week I had coconut water, including VitaCoco and Delish (Walgreens brand) that I haven't reviewed yet.  I don't have as much money, though, so I'll probably stick to water this week.