Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Fish, More Fish, and a Waldorf Salad

My brother came back from the Army recently and with that he and my dad have taken up a lot of fishing.  Unfortunately--or somewhat fortunately, for me--nobody in my family seems to eat a lot of fish except for me.  So I've been making quite a bit of it.  I've also been making a lot of Waldorf salad based on a recipe in a paleo cookbook I own.  Anyway...

For the above I took a filleted Walleye, put Hawaiian black salt and pepper on it, and squeezed lemon on it.  I baked it on a grill pan for about 20 minutes at 350oF.
The above--which may or may not look suspiciously similar--is a filleted Largemouth Bass.  I prepared in in pretty much the same way I prepared the Walleye, about 20 minutes at 350oF, lemon.

And finally, my salad:

It's really simple:  Cut up an apple and a few sticks of celery, add a few handfuls of walnuts, and add mayonnaise.  I'm not going to judge you too hard if you buy mayonnaise at the store, but it's virtually impossible to buy paleo-appropriate mayo.  Right now there's a huge fad where mayo manufacturers are putting out varieties that slap "OLIVE OIL!!!" all over the container even though it's just regular soybean-oil or canola-oil mayo with some olive oil added for flavor.

Mayonnaise is really easy to make, though, if you have an immersion blender and patience.  Put a couple egg yolks at the bottom of a jar, add a teaspoon mustard (most recipes specify dry, but I've found wet mustard also works great), a quarter teaspoon salt, a tablespoon each of lemon juice and vinegar (I use apple cider; you can also just use two tablespoons of lemon juice).  Put the immersion blender into it and start dribbling in a cup of extra light olive oil a few drops at a time.  Keep going and mixing until either you run out of olive oil or you are no longer able to actually mix it in.  Make sure you hold the jar in place, because one time when I did this as soon as the mayo emulsified the mixer turned it into a massive spin-art all the fuck over the place.

There are plenty of mayo recipes out there that you can experiment with and if necessary modify.  You can use avocado oil instead of olive, or even coconut oil or bacon grease (but for oils that are solid at room temperature realize that you need to use it right away or it'll solidify!).  If you really like olive oil, you might try extra virgin (although I feel like that'd be really strong).