Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pecan and Flax Crusted Walleye

My dad and brothers brought back a bunch of walleye from the lake, and for some reason the phrase "pecan crusted walleye" was really stuck in my head, and I had ground pecans, so I decided to look up and modify a recipe for this dish.


The above were some fillets I baked. I actually preferred pan frying them in some butter, but the baked was also very good.

You need:
  • 1 pound walleye fillets
  • 1 cup ground pecans
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons healthy oil, such as grassfed butter or coconut oil (I used all grassfed butter, but I feel like half butter half coconut oil would be great) if pan frying.
Start by blending together the egg, garlic powder, paprika, and salt and pepper.  In a shallow dish, combine the pecans and ground flax until they're married together really nicely.

The rest of it is really simple.  Moisten the fillets all over and then dip in the pecan/flax mixture.  If baking, lay them on a pan (I used a roasting pan, but I use that for damn near everything).  Bake at 350oF for about twenty minutes, or until the flesh flakes easily with a fork.  If pan frying, heat the oil in a pan and then fry them a couple minutes on each side until--again--it flakes easy with a fork.

I spritzed each fillet with lime before eating.

This is really fragile when it comes to plating, so if you're trying to look fancy be warned that you're going to have to be really gentle with these when transferring from the pan to the plate.