Thursday, August 7, 2014

Angels on Horseback

I don't remember where I first learned about angels on horseback.  It was probably during a bizarre Victorian kick I went through a while ago.  Whatever the case, I love them, so I'm going to tell you about them.

Angels on horseback are oysters wrapped in ham or bacon and then either pan fried, broiled, grilled, or baked.  These ones I baked on a broiler pan.  They're ridiculously easy.

I just take half a strip of thin bacon (or 1/3 strip of thick bacon, although it doesn't work as nicely), wrap it around an oyster (I used canned ones for this one which is partially to blame for the creative coloring; you can obviously use fresh raw ones, I've also used canned smoked ones).  You can stick them on a pan and just let them bake like that un-pinned, but I prefer to use either a skewer or a toothpick to keep them from unraveling on me.  I typically bake at 400oF for about twenty minutes.

Eat them plain or with hot sauce.

As I'm looking at this, it strikes me that if you grilled them you could also add fruit, vegetables, or other meat and make them into full on shish kebabs.

A variant on this is the devil on horseback, which I've tried but am not quite as fond of.  These are made in almost exactly the same way, except instead of oysters you are wrapping bacon around a piece of fruit (usually a date or a prune, perhaps with an almond stuffed in it).