Saturday, June 28, 2014

Whole 30 - Day 19

Well, time for my first real post here.  And as it stands, today is day 19 of a Whole 30, which is 30 days of almost-strict-paleo (the detailed rules can be found on the Whole 9 website but the gist of it is no dairy except ghee, no legumes except fresh green ones like snap peas, no grains, no sulphites, no processed foods, no alcohol, no white potatoes, no sweeteners except a little fruit juice, and no trying to paleo-ify things like desserts).

OK, I'm not actually doing a genuine Whole 30.  Almost all the dietary stuff I am doing, but due to medical tracking purposes demanded by medical professionals I am weighing myself.  I'm also taking the "big three" dietary supplements recommended by most paleo eaters who believe in supplements, including fish oil (mine has no forbidden ingredients), vitamin D3 (mine has some soy, sorry) and probiotics (lactobacilli + bifidobacteria, also regrettably has some soy).  I track my food intake on most days using a site called PaleoTrack, which gives not only things like caloric and nutrient intake but also gives helpful messages about the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids and the ratio of potassium to sodium.  For instance, this was the run-down I got on Wednesday:
I clearly kicked ass on Wednesday.
I don't actually pay much attention to calories or carbs, but I do pay attention to the omega 6/3 and potassium/sodium levels.  Since I do weigh myself, I can also mention that when I started I weighed 252 pounds.  Today I weighed 237 pounds and my shorts are pretty much hanging off my ass.

Generally speaking, I feel really good as well.  The last time I attempted a Whole 30 by this time I was going pretty batshit wanting sugary food.  I was hoping to be able to do the textbook gradual reintroduction of ingredients I don't want to avoid forever, but as it turns out I'm probably going to be going on a business trip in a few weeks so that's just not going to work (although I'll be trying to do at least approximate paleo while I'm there).

As far as foods go, I've been eating a lot of fish, a lot of ground beef, a lot of eggs, and drinking a lot of coconut water (it's great for that potassium/sodium ratio).  I've also been eating way too many cherries, because they're ridiculously cheap right now and... well, they're cherries.

I'm not sure how my blood pressure is doing because I know my sphygmomanometer is inaccurate and I don't really trust the one at Pick 'N Save either.  It might be improving, but we'll have to see when I go to my next doctor's appointment on I believe the 11th.