Monday, June 30, 2014

Recipe: Mustard-Coated Salmon

I'm posting this recipe here because it's basically been saving my life for the past few days.  One of the issues with a Whole 30 diet is that a lot of the spice mixes I use (like lemon pepper or seasoned salt) have ingredients that I can't eat for that duration, even if I normally think they aren't a big deal... many of them have sugar, a lot have MSG, etc.

I don't remember when I started putting mustard on salmon.  I know I did it a lot a year and a half or so ago when I was working at a group home, because it was easy and delicious, and I think this comes from that era of my life.  I don't remember if I got the recipe from someone else, either.  I feel like I came up with it on my own due to an obsession with whole-grain and stone-ground mustard.

And this recipe is really easy.  You need:
  • Salmon fillets (I usually just make one, because I usually am eating alone anyway)
  • About a tablespoon of whole-grain or stone-ground mustard for each fillet.  I often use more.  Make sure you read the ingredients to make sure there aren't any weird ingredients like sugar or soybean oil.
You have two options here.  You can either cook it on a grill (because grilling things makes everything taste better) or you can bake them in an oven on a grill pan (you probably can bake them in any pan, but I use a grill pan).

For grilling, just put the fillets on the grill, cook both sides until it looks cooked (I don't have a time for you, sorry, grills vary a lot and I've never actually timed it), then smother mustard on one side and allow it to cook in for thirty seconds or so.

For baking, you can smother the mustard on before cooking.  Bake it at 375oF for about fifteen or twenty minutes.  If it's too raw for you, or you have a particularly thick fillet, you can of course leave it in longer.